Saturday, October 6, 2012

Pre reading questions for week six


If you change one of the straight white women’s characteristics to maybe queer or something else, then of course her structural position will also change. I mean, she maybe different, but she’s still white. So in my opinion, she would still hold power but not as much as straight white women or straight white men. In others words basically, I believe she would still get better advantages that the minorities. If you change queer white men into straight white men then there structural position will change to where they hold all the power. For me and this is just my opinion, it doesn’t really make a difference if you change of one the characteristics of the white men because whatever you do or change, they will always be on the top of the ladder. Same goes for straight black men. I believe that even if you change one of their characteristics to queer, something else, or still straight, they will still be seen as below of the food chain and will still be given a hard time from everyone else, especially the whites. They will still have to work hard to get where they want to be unlike the whites whose advantages are already given to them. I don’t really know what you mean by political organization, but I think white women don’t really have that much needs as black women because like I said before, white women, even if you change their structural position, they will still hold some little power while as the black women, if you change their structural position, they will get nothing. If we are talking about political organizing, then the black women need more equality and power as everyone else. They should have a say in whatever they want to do without being looked differently. I also think it applies for queer Asian men and straight Asian men. I mean they both come from the same group, but when it comes to political organizing, the queer Asian men get looked differently because they are not the same as the others. Basically, straight Asian men have more advantages than queer Asian men because those who are straight don’t have to be scared of maybe using the public restroom. Personally to me, I think if people are only granted advantages and disadvantages because of their race, then that would be discrimination. Everyone should be able to receive equal advantages not because of their ethnicity, but how hard they work. I don’t really understand what you mean by if someone has racial privilege but not ability privilege but I think that if someone has an advantage because of their race but doesn’t have the ability to do it, then it causes some unfairness and injustice I think. I don’t really know how to answer this question. For the “Age, Race, Class, and Sex: Women redefining difference”, my two questions are: are women receiving less disadvantages because of their gender? And how are the ways the women are challenging this type of problem in their society? For “La Guera”, my two questions are: does this reading have to do with women also? And does the title reference have to do with something about war? For “The Combahee River Collective Statement,” my two questions are: does this reading have to do with the Native Americans? And does this reading have to do with like the Native Americans’s opinions about how they feel about the situation?

 

Words: 576

1 comment:

  1. Hi Patrica,
    I am really impressed with your pre-thinking in this post! It seems that you are really engaging with the ideas of structural advantage from the past two weeks and seeing how these new questions would fit in! I hope our discussions about intersectionality this week help to answer some of those questions.

    ReplyDelete