Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Post reading questions for week six


Honestly for me, I’m still a little bit lost about intersectional theory but to put it in simple words I think its when like multiple factors such as maybe your gender or race play a huge part in your life. Like for me since I’m female and Filipina, I don’t have that much advantage as suppose to maybe those who are female and white. I don’t really know how it’s different from the other approaches that we’ve learned in understanding racial, gender, or class oppression but personally, I find this approach much better to understand. Like this approach helped me see how women, even men could be treated differently because of their race, gender, or even their social status in society. I think what Audre Lorde means in this quote is that it’s not the differences that create these different types of groups or oppressions from white women and women of color, but the way they are holding back in fixing the problem. Like I guess, she means that they are not exactly making an effort to fixing the problem. They may talk about fixing it, but are still doing nothing to change it. I think the steps that Lorde is talking about in order for all women to achieve social justice and equality is that all women should be able to acknowledge that every one of them is equal as suppose to seeing them as maybe poor or weak. That if they are able to recognize those differences and see each other as equal, then they can come together and help each other out during their time of struggles. Responding to Moraga’s statement, I would have to agree with her because she is explaining or comparing how being a lesbian is like being poor, being a color of race, and being a woman. In other words, being a lesbian means you get treated in an unfair way like those other factors too. I don’t really understand the second part of her quote when she is talking about “the danger lies in ranking the oppressions….” But to answer your question about if all of these oppressions are poverty I would have to say they are because like I stated before, being a women of color and or being a women in general means getting treated differently, and not in  good way too. Like I guess, she is saying that it’s sad to see every one get treated differently because of their race, gender, sexual orientation, and etc. But that’s just me though. I don’t really know how to answer this question. I think intersectional analysis can help us understand the lives of men also by like their sexual orientation and race. Like for example, if you were a black or African American man and were queer, then you may not get a lot of advantages as suppose to men who are white and straight. But that was back then. I don’t know if that still happens today.

 

 
Words: 497

2 comments:

  1. Hi Patricia,
    I think for the confusion with intersectional theory, I had the same problem as you and when we did the activity in class about our gender, race, sexual orientation, etc. That's when I further understood the meaning of intersectional theory. Intersectional theory is when we look at individuals and compare their gender, race, sexual orientation and other disparities to prove what the person's disadvantages or advantages are. I also agree when you said that if the society recognizes the problem then it would be easier for us to solve the problems in the society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patricia,
    I think Kriselle's explanation does a good job of clarifying. Also, I think that your pre-reading blog had you off to a good start understanding intersectionality- try reading that again and see if it clarifies anything for you. Keep pushing to understand, maybe the readings for next week will help you because they give some concrete examples
    --eas

    ReplyDelete