Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Post-reading questions week twelve

I believe Lupe Faisco's "bad bitch" to be critically conscious because in his music video, he states how women are being portrayed as "sluts" due to what they are watching on television, the music videos they see artists make, and the magazines often displayed in stores. Not only that, but i think his video seems to be more critically conscious because it portrays how parenting can affect how a child sees the opposite sex. For example, if the roles were reverse, and the young girl was the one with the good mom, then she wouldn't dress up all revealing as she gets older. On the other hand though, if it was the younger boy who was watching the videos, he would grow up to be exactly like the girl when she got older. He would have disrespected her by trying to get at her and touching her ass. I believe the article about “Thoughts on Lupe Fiasco’s Bad Bitch” relates to me the most because I agree with what the author states. Like to some people there’s this different connotation to what “bad bitch” could mean just like what Lupe pointed out in the video. To the young girl, “bad bitch” means dressing up in revealing clothes while to the young boy, “bad bitch” means like being a hard worker, having job and taking care of your child, and dressing up appropriately. I also can relate it to the most because in the video, the author points out how the young boy turned into gentlemen because of how his mother raised him. The author states, “gender role confusion, wrought by Black women’s failure to parent their sons and mentor their daughters more proactively.” This statement I believe suggests that if parents were to control what their child watches more, then they would turn out to be more respectable when they older. For example me. I remember as I child, my parents would always monitor what I would watch or listen to. If they didn’t, I would probably end up being a girl with no manners. I think the connection between Lupe Fiasco’s music video and the quote is that well first of all, Jamila’s quote in the beginning, she states how feminist and feminism is not only addressing the issues of how women are being perceived today, but also calling to action about it. With that said, I think it relates to Lupe’s “Bad Bitch” because I believe he is doing the same. Not only is he showing how women are being mistreated, but his message clearly states that we should be doing something about it. I think what Jamila would say about this hierarchy is that it’s okay to sometimes wear revealing clothes, but not to the point where you dress up all the time to be called a “slut” and be disrespected by men all the time. I believe hip-hop as a music genre has more of a responsibility to be socially responsible because I think more teens listen to this genre more than any other music. Furthermore, I believe it has more of responsibility because to some people, the lyrics behind it have a deeper meaning than other people.

Words: 532

4 comments:

  1. Hi Patricia,
    I liked how you gave an example of your own experience. I also agree that the genre hip-hop is the one responsible for other genres because most of the people listed to it.
    -Kriselle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patricia,
    You do a great job in this blog posting by examining the different aspects of the video and their implications. Therefore, I have a couple of follow-up questions:
    1) In the video, Lupe Fiasco holds the mom accountable for how the children grow up. Why don't you think he holds the parents, or community at large responsible?
    2) It's true Jamilah believes that feminism isn't about policing what women wear (they should be able to dress as they wish). Do you think Lupe would agree or disagree? Why?
    --eas

    ReplyDelete
  3. **you also get credit for your pre-reading blog here too**

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Patricia,
    I think you did a good job of highlighting how the media and parenting influeneces younger generations outlook on gender and how women are potrayed. I also like the example you used as a reverse look at the situation. I agree that Lupe Fiasco's "Bad bitch" is critically conscious and it's definitely delivering a powerful message that can inspire change.

    ReplyDelete